Household Hazardous Waste Drop-Off Center is by Appointment Only
To drop-off household chemicals, paint, electronics, sharps, tires, etc., you must make an appointment. The appointment only procedure will be in place indefinitely to allow us to continue serving the community while keeping residents and staff safe during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Latex paint is not a hazardous waste. Once hardened or empty, residents are encouraged to remove the lid and place items in their curbside trash container for disposal. Oil or solvent based paints are a hazardous waste and may be turned into the HHW Drop Off Center for proper disposal. For an easy video tutorial click this link.
If you have oil-based paints or stains, than those do need to be properly disposed of at the Hamilton County HHW Drop-off Center. If you are a business work directly with a waste vendor such as American Industrial Services or Heritage Environmental for proper disposal.
Latex Paint Identification
Latex paint can be identified the following ways:
- Read the Label: If clean-up instructions indicate that rollers & brushed can be cleaned using soap and water, it is typically latex or “water-based” paint. If the product is a solvent or “oil-based” paint, the instructions will likely indicate these items can be cleaned with mineral spirits or turpentine.
- Water Test: Place paint in a small container with some water. If the paint is water-based, it will easily mix with the water and dissolve. Oil-based paint will separate from the water and form noticeable layers.
Latex Paint Drying Instructions
- Remove lid from paint container.
- Add kitty litter, oil dry, saw dust or soil to the latex paint.
- Stir until paint has harden to an "oatmeal-like" consistency.
- Place the uncovered container in a well-ventilated area away from children or pets and allow mixture to harden.
- Place the container, with the dried paint, in your curbside trash with the lid off.
Please note, county residents are encouraged to dispose of their unwanted latex paint at home if possible. However, latex paint that has not been frozen or appears to still be in a usable condition can be brought to the HHW Drop Off Center for disposal or reuse.
If you are a business, contractor, school, church, etc. you can work directly with American Paint Recyclers for proper disposal of paint.