Materials Accepted at the HHW Drop off Center
PLEASE, Register Your Visit in Advance
To drop-off household wastes such as chemicals, paint, TVs, electronics, Freon containing materials, tires, etc., please register your visit in advance. This enables us to still collect township data, predict drop-off volumes, staff our facility accordingly and support justification for our program. For more information on what we do and do not accept please visit the "Materials Accepted" part of our website under the HHW Drop-Off Center tab.
OverviewThe HHW Drop Off Center provides an environmentally safe option for Hamilton County residents to dispose of unwanted household hazardous waste products for free.
Safety is our number one priority at the HHW Center.
Refer to our Safe Handling instructions to ensure you package materials properly. Remember to bring sorted materials in a box or container. Materials that are in trash bags, spilling, leaking or a safety hazard will NOT be accepted.
- Electronics - Residential computers, monitors, printers, televisions (CRTs & Flat Screen - limit five per year), Microwaves, DVD Players, electrical cords, tablets and/or Cell Phones, Small Kitchen Appliances, as well as other General Household Appliances.
- Freon Containing Appliances - Refrigerators/Freezers (MUST be clean inside and out), Dehumidifiers, and/or Window Air Conditioners
- Household Cleaners - Bathroom cleaners, kitchen cleaners, or drain cleaners
- Automotive Wastes - Used Oil, Used Antifreeze, Fuels (Gasoline or Diesel), Cleaners, Car Batteries
- Car/Truck Tires (***Limit 5 per week***) and MUST be clean and free of water. NO TIRES MOUNTED ON RIMS. LOOSE TIRES ONLY.
- Rechargeable Batteries - Lithium (Li), Nickel Cadmium (NiCd), Nickel Metal Hydride (NMH), and Lead Acid (NO Alkaline)
- Sharps - EMPTY syringes, needles, or lancets *Must be in approved sharps container* Injection pins do not have to be in a sharps container as long as the needle is not exposed, the cap is back on, and they do not have a battery.
- Fluorescent Lamps - Compact Fluorescent Lamps (CFLs), Tubes, Halogen Lamps, HID Mercury Vapor, and/or Neon/Ultra Violet Lights, and LED Lights.
- Fire Extinguishers - AB or ABC
- Pesticides/Herbicides - Garden/Lawn products, fertilizers, fungicides and other pesticides
- Fuels - Kerosene, Lamp Oil, Gasoline, Diesel, and/or Lighter Fluid
- Paint Related Products - Latex paint, oil based paints, stains, varnishes, mineral spirits, and/or paint thinners
- Aerosols - Household spray paints, paint strippers, carburetor cleaners, bug spray, and/or water repellents
- Adhesives - Household caulks/glues
- Beauty Aids that contain alcohol or are in aerosol cans (i.e. hair spray, nail polish remover, perfumes, or cologne).
- Swimming Pool Chemicals - Chlorine, Bromine, Shock, pH Reducer and/or pH Increaser
- Photo Chemicals - Developer, fixer and/or stop bath from hobby photography.
- Mercury Containing Equipment - Thermostats or thermometers
- Propane Cylinders and Helium Cylinders - NO OXYGEN or OTHER GASES
- Cooking Oil/Grease
- Crack Filler, Driveway Sealer or Roof Coating
- Inkjet Printer Cartridges or copier toner
- Smoke Detectors @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Any Household Hazardous Waste over 25 Gallons or 200 Pounds per Household.
- Materials from a Business (i.e. Schools, Farmers, Landlords, Contractors, Commercial, Retail, etc.)
- Materials from Residents from outside of Hamilton County
- Leaking Items or Unsorted Materials placed in trash bags. Materials need to be safe for us to handle.
- Unknown Waste - We will not accept unknown materials.
- Materials delivered in a commercial vehicle will not be accepted.
- Empty containers are not accepted (i.e. empty paint cans).
- Non-hazardous solids (i.e. salt, grout, cement) are safe to trash at home.
- Alkaline Batteries are not accepted. These do not contain regulated heavy metals or enough metal to be recyclable. Please trash at home.
- Fireworks - wet and trash at home.
- Ammunition - check with local police.
- Garbage/Trash - We do not accept trash anywhere at our facility.
- Radioactive Materials
- Medications - take to drop box at the Hamilton County Sheriff's Office
- Non-Propane or Helium Cylinders
- Tires with Rims.
- Commercial/Industrial Products - Work with a Hazardous Waste Vendor
- Mattresses, Box Springs or any type of Furniture - Call curbside trash provider for large item pickup or take to transfer station.
- Toilets - Call curbside trash provider for large item pickup or take to transfer station.
- Scrap Metal - Take to Ace Scrap Metal (1715 E. 226th St., Cicero).
- Gas Powered Lawn Equipment - Take to Ace Scrap Metal (1715 E. 226th St., Cicero)
- Gas Grill - Take to Ace Scrap Metal (1715 E. 226th St., Cicero)
- Dishwashers or Stoves - Take to Ace Scrap Metal (1715 E. 226th St., Cicero)
- Washers or Dryers - Take to Ace Scrap Metal (1715 E. 226th St., Cicero)
- Carpet or any type of floorings - Call curbside trash provider for large item pickup or take to Kruze Carpet Recycling or take to transfer station.
- Building Materials (i.e. shingles, siding, boards, brick, concrete, flooring, drywall, etc.) take to a transfer station.
- Lumber or Wood (treated or untreated) - untreated wood call go to GreenCycle
- Grass clippings or yard waste - Take to GreenCycle
- Cabinets or counter tops - if still usable take to Habitat Restore or take to transfer station.
- Water softeners or water heaters - Take to transfer station or scrap metal recycle facility.
- Plastic bags or sheets of Plastic - Take clean plastic bags and wrap back to grocery stores.
- Large Plastic Items like swimming pools, play houses, garden hoses, shoe racks, etc. - These are NOT recyclable. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>