- Health and Environment
- Household Hazardous Waste
- Materials Accepted at the HHW Drop Off Center
Materials Accepted at the HHW Drop off Center
PLEASE, Register Your Visit in Advance
Advanced registration is encouraged to drop-off household wastes such as chemicals, paint, electronics (including *Televisions), Freon containing materials (refrigerators/freezers), tires, etc... Pre-registration provides an efficient way for the HHW Center to collect data relative to the program’s services and support program justification. Residents will not be refused for failing to register, but may be asked to complete a registration in person.
*In accordance with Ordinance No. 1-25-21-A: A $20 per Television fee will be in effect beginning February 2, 2021. Exact Cash or Credit Card (Visa/Mastercard/Discover) will be accepted. Ordinance No. 03-22-21-A: All credit card transactions will have a small convenience fee beginning March 22, 2021.
Our facility is for Hamilton County residents disposing of their personal household waste only. Limit 200 pounds per residence per month. For more information on what we do and do not accept please visit the "Materials Accepted" part of our website or call 317-776-4005 and press 1 to speak to a technician.
You do NOT need to register for paper shred day events or for the general recycling compactors in the south part of our compound.
Households are exempt from hazardous waste generator regulations. The HHW Drop-Off Center provides a voluntary environmentally safe option for Hamilton County residents to dispose of unwanted household hazardous waste products for free.
Keep scrolling for the list accepted and list of non accepted materials at our facility or visit our Frequently Asked Questions Page.
Safety is our number one priority at the HHW Center. Refer to our Safe Handling instructions to ensure you package materials properly. Remember to bring sorted materials in a box or container. Materials that are in trash bags, spilling, leaking or a safety hazard will NOT be accepted.
- Electronics - Residential computers, monitors, printers, televisions ($20 per TV fee beginning Feb., 2, 2021), Microwaves, DVD Players, electrical cords, vacuums, tablets and/or Cell Phones, Small Kitchen Appliances, as well as other General Household Appliances. For more information on e-waste, click here.
- Freon Containing Appliances - Refrigerators/Freezers (MUST be clean inside and out), Dehumidifiers, and/or Window Air Conditioners
- Household Cleaners - Bathroom cleaners, kitchen cleaners, or drain cleaners
- Automotive Wastes - Used Oil, Used Antifreeze, Fuels (Gasoline or Diesel), Cleaners, Car Batteries
- Car/Truck Tires (***Limit 5 per week***) and MUST be clean and free of water. No bicycle tires please. Bicycle tires can go into your curbside trash.
- Rechargeable Batteries - Lithium (Li), Nickel Cadmium (NiCd), Nickel Metal Hydride (NMH), and Lead Acid (NO Alkaline batteries).
- Sharps - syringes, needles, or lancets *Must be in approved sharps container* Injection pins do not have to be in a sharps container as long as the needle is not exposed, the cap is back on, and they do not have a battery. For more info on our sharps program click here.
- Fluorescent Lamps - Compact Fluorescent Lamps (CFLs), Tubes, Halogen Lamps, HID Mercury Vapor, and/or Neon/Ultra Violet Lights, and LED Lights. Incandescent lights can be thrown into general trash at home.
- Fire Extinguishers - AB or ABC
- Lawn/Garden Chemicals - Pesticides, Herbicides, Insecticides.
- Fuels - Kerosene, Lamp Oil, Gasoline, Diesel, and/or Lighter Fluid. Must be in a five gallon containers or smaller, limit 20 gallons per month.
- Paint Related Products - Latex paint, oil based paints, stains, varnishes, mineral spirits, and/or paint thinners.
- Aerosols - Household spray paints, paint strippers, carburetor cleaners, bug spray, and/or water repellents.
- Adhesives - Household caulks/glues.
- Beauty Aids - that contain alcohol or are in aerosol cans (i.e. hair spray, nail polish remover, perfumes, or cologne).
- Swimming Pool Chemicals - Chlorine, Bromine, Shock, pH Reducer and/or pH Increaser.
- Photo Chemicals - Developer, fixer and/or stop bath from hobby photography.
- Mercury Containing Equipment - Thermostats or thermometers.
- Cylinders - Propane Cylinders and Helium Cylinders - NO OXYGEN or OTHER GASES
- Cooking Oil/Grease - Limit five gallon containers or smaller.
- Other - Crack Filler, Driveway Sealer or Roof Coating.
- Ink - Inkjet Printer Cartridges or copier toner.
- Smoke Detectors. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Materials NOT Accepted
- Any Household Hazardous Waste over 25 Gallons or 200 Pounds per Household. For us to meet EPA generator exemptions we are only legally allowed to accept 200 pounds of hazardous waste per household per month.
- Materials from a Business (i.e. Schools, Farmers, Landlords, Contractors, Commercial, Retail, etc.). Our facility is meant for household waste only.
- Materials from Residents from outside of Hamilton County. If you do not live in Hamilton County click here for your household hazardous waste options.
- Leaking Items or Unsorted Materials placed in trash bags. Materials need to be safe for us to handle.
- Unknown Waste - We will not accept unknown materials.
- Materials delivered in a commercial vehicle or third parties will not be accepted.
- Empty containers are not accepted (i.e. empty paint cans).
- Non-hazardous solids (i.e. salt, grout, cement, drywall mud) are safe to trash at home.
- Alkaline Batteries are not accepted. These do not contain regulated heavy metals or enough metal to be recyclable. Please trash at home.
- Fireworks - wet and trash at home.
- Ammunition - check with local police.
- Garbage/Trash - We do not accept trash anywhere at our facility.
- Radioactive Materials
- Medications - take to drop box at the Hamilton County Sheriff's Office
- Non-Propane cylinders such as oxygen or welding gas will not be accepted.
- Fake Christmas Trees - We do not accept fake Christmas trees. If you cut off the cord, we will accept only the cord.
- Commercial/Industrial Products - Work with a Hazardous Waste Vendor
- Mattresses, Box Springs or any type of Furniture - Call curbside trash provider for large item pickup or take to transfer station.
- Toilets - Call curbside trash provider for large item pickup or take to transfer station.
- Scrap Metal - Take to Ace Scrap Metal (1715 E. 226th St., Cicero).
- Gas Powered Lawn Equipment - Take to Ace Scrap Metal (1715 E. 226th St., Cicero)
- Gas Grill - Take to Ace Scrap Metal (1715 E. 226th St., Cicero)
- Dishwashers or Stoves - Take to Ace Scrap Metal (1715 E. 226th St., Cicero)
- Washers or Dryers - Take to Ace Scrap Metal (1715 E. 226th St., Cicero)
- Carpet or any type of floorings - Call curbside trash provider for large item pickup or take to Kruze Carpet Recycling or take to transfer station.
- Building Materials (i.e. shingles, siding, boards, brick, concrete, flooring, drywall, etc.) take to a transfer station.
- Lumber or Wood (treated or untreated) - untreated wood call go to GreenCycle
- Grass clippings or yard waste - Take to GreenCycle - 2695 Cicero Road, Noblesville.
- Cabinets or counter tops - if still usable take to Habitat Restore or take to transfer station.
- Water softeners or water heaters - Take to transfer station or scrap metal recycle facility.
- Plastic bags or plastic wrap- Take clean plastic bags and wrap back to grocery stores.
- Large Plastic Items - Such as plastic totes, swimming pools, play houses, garden hoses, shoe racks, etc. - These are NOT recyclable. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>