Covid-19 UPDATE: The Marriage License Application Process
How to get your marriage license
The Hamilton County Clerk’s will continue to process marriage licenses by appointment only. We will do virtual appointments through Microsoft Teams or in-person appointments following the guidelines established by the county. All in-person applicants must wear a mask. Applicants using Teams will pay the license fee through our online payment portal.
Apply for your marriage license
Please fill out the on-line application prior to arriving in our office to avoid delays in the process time. If you don’t have access to the internet, we have 2 public terminals in our lobby where you can complete this process. Apply Online
Application Hours & Fees
Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Fee for Indiana residents: $20.00 CASH or Credit Card (includes 2 certified copies)
Fee for out of state residents (license is only valid for ceremonies performed in Hamilton county): $62.00 CASH or Credit Card (includes 2 certified copies)
Expiration of License
The marriage license expires 60 days from the date of of issue. Your marriage must happen after the license was issued and before the expiration date. If you have not gotten married by that date you must reapply for the license and pay the fee again.
Where to Apply
From Indiana Code I.C 31-11-4-3
- Indiana residents- at least one or both applicants must be a resident of Hamilton county. (if one person lives in Hamilton county and the other person lives in a different county, you have the option of applying in either one of those counties.) Please be sure you are coming to the correct county to apply for your license.
- If one applicant lives in Hamilton county and the other applicant lives in a different state and you are getting married in Indiana, you would need to apply in Hamilton county.
- Out of state residents (both applicants)- applicants must apply in the county that the marriage is taking place in.
- Both applicants must be present to apply for the license (bring interpreter if you need one)
- This marriage license is valid in the state of Indiana only.
- An Indiana License is not valid to use in any other state or any country outside of the united states.