Substance Abuse Evaluation & Counseling

The evaluation must be completed by a certified drug/alcohol counselor. Upon signing the Diversion agreement the defendant will be provided a list of counselors.  You must complete a minimum of eight (8) hours.  If counselor recommends more, you are required to follow their recommendation.

If you live outside of Hamilton County you may locate a counseling agency in your area. This can be done by looking in the yellow pages under "substance abuse" or "mental health" agencies. You can also call your local Probation Department or hospital and ask them to refer you to an agency. For students attending college your local health center may offer a sufficient program. All counseling is subject to the approval of the Diversion Coordinator.

Depending on your offense you will be required to complete twenty (20) to forty (40) hours of community service.

Counseling & Community Service Requirements for Other Charges

Battery, Invasion of Privacy, and Intimidation offenses are all required to attend anger management counseling. You must first undergo an evaluation and then attend a minimum of 12 sessions. If the counselor recommends more than 12 sessions, you are required to follow their recommendation. You also must successfully complete counseling and pay any related fees with the counseling agency. Counseling reports should be sent monthly to the Diversion Coordinator. You can click on this link to see a list of Anger Control Counselors in the Hamilton County area. These offenses also require completion of 40 hours of community service.

Domestic Battery

Domestic Battery offenses require completion of a Batterer's Intervention Program. This program is typically comprised of twenty-six (26) sessions and must be completed within six (6) months of the evaluation. You must pay any related fees for this requirement. Financial assistance may be available to those who qualify. Counseling reports should be sent to the Diversion Coordinator monthly. Due to the commitment this program entails, community service for this offense is twenty (20) hours, to be completed within the first six (6) months of the term. You can click on this link to see a list of Counseling Agencies.


Theft offenses are required to attend the NCTI Conversion Class provided by A.B.C. Counseling in Indianapolis. Information and registration can be obtained by calling 317-257-3117 or by emailing  This class costs $70, which must be paid prior to the class. You must successfully pass this one-day, 8-hour class. A minimum of forty (40) hours of community service is also required.

Reckless Driving

Reckless Driving offenses are required to attend the Attitudinal Dynamics of Driving course. This class is provided by John Pickney and can be scheduled by calling 765-759-5092. A minimum of twenty (20) hours of community service is also required.

Other Services

Other counseling may be required for certain offenses or situations and will be required on a case-by-case basis. You will be made aware of the specific requirements before signing the diversion agreement.