Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I file charges against someone?
- How do I get a No Contact Order?
- What is the status of a/my/my husband's case? Can you tell me my next court date?
- I got a subpoena in the mail. Why do I have to testify? This is really inconvenient for me, do I get paid?
- Can I talk to the Prosecutor about my case?
- Can I get a Prosecutor's explanation of a law or get legal advice from a Prosecutor?
- What is a warrant?
- What happens after a person (the defendant) has been arrested?
- What is a pretrial conference and do I need to attend?
- What is the difference between a bench trial and a jury trial?
- Do I have to attend the trial?
- What is a subpoena?
- What happens if I ignore the subpoena and/or otherwise fail to appear in court as ordered?
- Am I allowed to be present in the courtroom during the trial?
- How will I know if the trial date has changed?
- What happens if someone tries to intimidate me into dropping the charges and/or not testifying?
- What if the defendant's attorney or some other individual acting on behalf of the defendant contacts me about the case?
- What if I decide to drop the charges and/or not to testify?
- What happens if the defendant either pleads guilty or is found guilty by a judge or jury?
- What is restitution and what can it cover?
- Do I need documentation for restitution?
- How do I request restitution?
- What is a Victim Impact Statement?
- When do I submit my Victim Impact Statement?
- What about insurance?
- What happens after restitution is ordered?
- What if the defendant doesn't pay?
- How do I request public records under the Access to Public Records Act?
- Do I have to let the non-custodian of my child(ren) have visitation when child support is never paid?
- How can I start using the Prosecutor's Office to get my child support?
- How long does it take for my child support to start coming?
- My husband/boyfriend was arrested for domestic battery, but we just had a misunderstanding. What if I want to drop the charges?
- The non-custodial parent of my child(ren) works for cash and has not held a job for over 3 months. He has never paid a cent on his child support order. Can you help me get child support from him?
- What can I do if I want to stop using IV-D services?
- What is the other name I keep hearing for the Child Support Division?