The Cemetery Commission generally meets in Conference Room 1-B of the Hamilton County Government and Judicial Center on a monthly basis from March through October. A joint meeting with the Township Trustees is held in Conference Room 1-A in April.
Marion C. Hensley, President
Michael Hartley, Co-Vice President
Dottie Young, Co-Vice President
Robert L. Goode, Secretary / Treasurer
Nancy Massey, Member
Joe H. Burgess, President Emeritas
Cemetery Commission History
The Hamilton County Cemetery Commission was established in 1976 under Indiana Law IC 23-14-67; Care of Cemeteries by Counties. In order to insure continuity, the County Board of Commissioners appoints 5 volunteers for staggered 5-year terms, with 1 appointment each year. It is the Cemetery Commission's responsibility to care for neglected pioneer cemeteries established before 1850 whose care and maintenance are not otherwise funded.
The Cemetery Commission is funded on a line item under the Hamilton County Board of Commissioner's annual budget. An Annual Report of the activities of the Cemetery Commission is provided to the Hamilton County Board of Commissioners, the Hamilton County Council and the Indiana Historical Bureau.
At the present time, the Cemetery Commission is taking care of 24 pioneer cemeteries. The Cemetery Commission also assists the Hamilton County Township Trustees with maintenance of some cemeteries under their care. Most of these cemeteries were established prior to 1870. A current priority of the Cemetery Commission is to survey the county's pioneer cemeteries and transfer ownership to the county in order to ensure their protection.