Mosquito Prevention Tips
Mosquitoes lay eggs in still water, which hatch in 7 to 10 days. If standing water is eliminated weekly, many mosquitoes will be kept from breeding in the first place...and with fewer mosquitoes, you can have more fun in your yard and throughout Indiana! Here are some things you can do:
- #1 Remove standing water in ponds, ditches, clogged rain gutters, flower pots, plant saucers, puddles, buckets, garden equipment and cans.
- Check for items that might hold water including barbecues, toys, pool covers, tarps, plastic sheeting, boats, canoes and trash.
- Avoid mosquitoes by staying indoors at dusk to dawn when the mosquitoes are most active.
- Wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants while outdoors.
- Apply insect repellent that contains DEET. Use only 10% DEET on children, and make sure everyone washes their hands well so that they do not get any creme in their eyes or mouth. Follow directions carefully!